Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:36:15 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 14:17 by luangruo@yahoo.com:

> xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> writes:
>
>> I invite you to compare code of custom-set-variables and setq, for
>> setting a single variable, and to see how ridiculous this defense is.
>>

> Judging functions by code size in general will not yield a useful
> result, and preferring setq to custom-theme-set-variables because the
> latter has more code is simply ludicrous:

If it is ludicrous, then why almost every Emacs users configuration out
there care about speeding up initialization?  Speed isn't the only
concern, also.

>  setq doesn't try to respect
> the `custom-set' symbol property, or do anything meaningful with custom
> themes.  (Which is why it is also unsuitable for many options, where the
> `custom-set' function has to be called in order to work correctly, or
> when you want it inside a custom theme.)
>
>> There isn't even a function for setting a custom variable and you will
>> find a csetq macro popping up in many users init files, if you care to
>> look within your community.  And no, custom-set-variable isn't it.
>>

> Why not?

You are proving what I argued, which is custom system doesn't play
well with doing things from init file.  And even newcomers will have to
use the init file, for many things cannot be done by using custom interface
only.

Please see: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CustomizingAndSaving#h5o-3