Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:05:56 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> FWIW I completely agree with this.  Custom system is a good idea,
> and it should exist; however it has a very long way yet to achieve
> it's purpose.  It is nowhere near JetBrains software's isolation
> of Java from user.  It needs a lot more work.  It is an unfinished system.
> If you keep insisting on Custom's perfection, you need to explain

No, I don't insist on the perfection of Custom.  No system is perfect,
but it being imperfect is not an excuse for having code generated by
Emacs for new users to not use custom.  It will simply make the problem
worse, by confusing them when they try to use custom.

> the whole Emacs community why JetBrains makes more money
> than donations to Emacs.  (Rhetorical)

I don't think Emacs accepts donations, and it's not a company either, so
that comparison makes no sense.