Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:15:36 +0100

Hi,

lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> obviously we have a problem  with our representation to the world. People
> think we are for nostalgics or dead. I know, we had this discussion many
> times before (lengthy at times), but the situation doesn’t seem to be
> resolved. IIRC after the last discussion about our web presence the only
> „measure“ that was taken was to add an screenshot „carousel“ to the front
> page … not enough IMHO …

You are putting absolutely too much emphasis on the website - work on
which is also actively continuing, including having rescued  tutorials
the other day. In the holidays I have at plan to fix some wiki
interaction, a new lockdown is in the air anyway!

Signs of life on a website are given by their project page, like we have
on github, by release news and by the wiki... with most other projects I
interact with I don't even care about the web page, I use it only as a
pointer to get to the pointer to wiki, repositories and bugs.

"Liveness" is given also by things like news, discussions.. which lately
are really boring, they happen only on the mailing list.

The most live thread are about these things or rants against FSF and
license... how interesting is that? I can even understand Ivan's
decision to unsubscribe from the lists and just silently continue
working on code and bugs.

> In the reactions to this post there another misconceptions like:
>
> https://www-heise-de.translate.goog/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Vor-25-Jahren-Apple-kauft-Next-mitsamt-Steve-Jobs/Re-GNUStep/posting-40187338/show/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de
>
> quote: "Nice, really! Unfortunately a little lifeless since 2018, or am I
> wrong?“
And? well he is wrong... but what can you do, fix people's head? Do you
take somebody "Dulli damper"

> this impression was gained when viewing our website!

You don't have the information on how this impression was gained. The
webpage has no dates, deliberately.
Also, we should use less energy about fixing peoples head.. this "Dull
dumper". I mean 10 second verifications by that person would have made a
better opinion.

1) GitHub is referenced one-click away from the homepage and there you
can even have activity graphs for the subprojects and last commit date,
refusing this
2) just looking at gnustep in google gives as a second link wikipedia,
which says our last core release is 7 months old
3) a one-click away from the homepage there is software index, which
shows entries from 2019 to 2021 just upfront (although some ar missing
compared to 4) )
4) still just click from the homepage in the wiki homepage there are
several entries for 2020 and 2021. Just for 2021 we can count, beyond
core releases, Gorm PDFKit, a "salvaged" HelpViewer and two theme releases!

> Think about it.

Sure. Not perfect.. just by doing this quick check I found dead links,
inconsistent information...but a "fact check" that anybody can do.

It may touch you if we are considered "dead".. but hell, you can't fix
everybody's mind. There are people believing Australia does not exist,
that the earth is flat and that COVID is just a flu... use your energies
by building.

> kind regards and happy holidays,

Have a nice Christmas. Frohe Weihnachten!

Riccardo