Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.

From: Daniel Boyd
Subject: Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:53:32 -0600

It’s funny. I originally got into GNUStep because I’m a history buff and the
NeXT era of Steve Job’s career fascinates me.

I was and still am fascinated by how modern it is, despite most of the concepts
dating back to like 1990. I expected GNUStep to be a window into the early days
of software development. What I found is that it’s just as vital and usable as
ever and that I just straight up prefer it to other—much newer—frameworks. It’s
just awesome.

The OOP approach in ObjC is just right. It doesn’t bludgeon your over the head
like Java or C#. And if there’s some additional functionality you need, you can
go grab any C library and just use it.

I’m not sure what this concept is called, but I love how e.g.
NSTableViewDataSource works. The API just asks you, “what does the cell at col
X and row Y look like?” So much better than other implementations. I was
writing an Android app in Java several years ago and I was so appalled by their
list view that I wrote a Cocoa-inspired list data source class.

Sent from my iPhone