Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: People think we are for nostalgics or dead.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 15:11:49 +0100

> Am 23.12.2021 um 14:44 schrieb Gustavo Tavares <gustavotavares@mac.com>:
>
> What do I love most about Cocoa?

[note: here I read "Cocoa" more precisely as "Objective-C +
Base/GUI-Frameworks". There was a JAVA binding for Apple Cocoa long time ago
which I did not love equally well.]

> You can actually read your code 6 months laters.

Not only that. You can easily read code written by someone else 60 or even more
months later.

I randomly picked some 5 years old code from github:
https://github.com/nicklockwood/iCarousel/blob/master/iCarousel/iCarousel.m

> The parameters are labeled appropriately—and many `selectors` are English
> phrases.

exactly.

> Concepts are more important than saving a character here and there.

I agree that I don't like the abbreviationism of some other languages which has
the wrong focus of saving characters during typing...

> I would go as far as to say that Cocoa is the most readable API of all.

And if you avoid the . notation for calling methods it is even more readable.
Brad Cox: everything in [ ] is a method call - except for C arrays. If you
avoid . method calls even the opposite holds true.

In my experience the savings by @synthesisze for building getters/setters
automatically saves only some minutes during coding. Where coding is just a
small fraction of total project time. Most is debugging and refactoring code.
Then it is important that the code is readable without deciphering symbolic
operators.

> So...what do you love about Cocoa?

See above :)

BR,