Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 16:07:35 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 3:48 PM Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> GNUstep also has a packaging system, which is the reason I discussed
>> it in my article.
> I'm unaware of a packaging system in GNUstep; I admit not to know of
> everything or keeping up with everything in GNUstep, however.

I was about to ask! To my knowledge GNUstep by itself has no packaging
system!
When living on an existing sytem it should be capable of using it (e.g.
debian packages, gentoo packages, NetBSD packages...).

GAP has a long discussed "installer" which should mimic what NeXT and
Apple do with receipes, but it was never started, because of many
"doubts" never solved and the benefit of having it being interesting for
a GNUstep native distribution.

Some hot topics are:
- handling of multi-architecture (e.g. "fat installers" or many packages?)
- handling of root privileges - we don't have an easy way to upgrade the
running user, e.g. type in your password and use sudo to install or
something like that.

Riccardo