Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 07:31:07 -0500

Liam,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 7:31 PM Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 at 00:07, Gregory Casamento
<greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent article, but I have to say that saying  GNUstep as an implementation of NeXTSTEP is half our issue.   It would be better to say it is an implementation of Cocoa.

Thank you!

It was only a brief mention and the piece was getting over-long
anyway. I feel that the term Cocoa is not well-enough known, nor would

???  I'm wondering why Cocoa wouldn't be well known.
something like "Yellow Box" or something be either. I had just talked
about how macOS bundles apps into special folders, how it had
inherited this from its ancestor NeXTstep, so I thought it was fair to
continue that line by saying that there's a FOSS re-implementation of
that stuff.

Of Cocoa. :)   My point was, from reading the article, if someone doesn't know the heritage of Cocoa, then they will read that as "GNUstep is a clone of NeXTSTEP."

Is the .app folder bundle format part of Cocoa, the API, anyway?

Part of the API?  Not necessarily, but part of the OS, yes, absolutely.  macOS/Cocoa still uses it.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven@gmail.com

Yours, GC