linking with mold

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: linking with mold
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:57:38 +0000

Hello,

in my development I learned the hard way that the only linker which
works with gnustep/libobjc2 seems to be the gold linker.
standard ld as well as lvm's lld had issues with libobjc2 either by not
doing stuff as it should or by optimizing things away it shouldnt.
At least on Debian9 where I failed miserably when I tested (things might
have changed since).

I'm happy in terms of functionality with gold linker but linking my
projects is quite slow. My projects has around five thousands source
files. All very small but still lots of them. So linking is taking most
of the time when I modify and run something.

Today I learned about the mold linker which is heavily paralelized
speeding up linking in some tests by a factor of 20x. That's quite an
achievement.
This is wonderful for turnaround times while developing. Now as libobjc2
has a few specialities I wonder if anyone has ever tested mold with it
and what the findings where.

Mold's Project page is https://github.com/rui314/mold

Andreas