bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Arash Bijanzadeh
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:49:08 +0430

Hi,
We want to simplize the use of farsi in linux. We  may an installable distro
and packages.
Right now we are trying to find a base for our distro. Surely all of us like
it to be debianbase but there is two major problem. First is the installer
and hd-detection proccedure which are not user friendly in debian. The other
problem is conservative POV of debian guys in contrust with the newly added
features that we want them all for farsification.
So if the sarge installer is good enough I think we can't stick to the stable
release of debian as base of our distro. Maybe we should use the testing
version for our base?

RedHat on the other hand always contains the most new versions of linux
applications; and not to forget that in Iran it is really easier to buy CDs
than download them from repositories.
Any way for now I am working on knoppix remastering, considering its
installation script it could satsfy us for know and we have time to test
Libranet.
I have another suggestion. We can create one extra CD for distros included the
most needed thing for farsification, fonts, farsiKDE and ... ; all packaged
and ready to install plus a shell script to make things more easier.
I suggest creating this plusCD for RedHat that has the best xft rendering and
default utf8 locale and for debian. RedHat needs  fonts and farsiKDE rpms and
a way to get ride of it's nasty Desktop.
For Debian we need other packages like new X and xft and ...

What do you think?