bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:55:13 +0300

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 12:23, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2003 23:40, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> > Which I would also love to be informed about.
>
> Sarge will be shipped with the new installer which is based on GTK.
> This means it supports UTF-8 as well as BiDi.

This is not consistent with what I have heard. From what I know ( and I
could be wrong):

Sarge's installer is divided in to two sections, a backend and a
frontend.

The backend is the actual installer. It performs the low level jobs, and
(very important for Debian) runs on all supported platforms. However,
it has got no user interface. A user interface (the frontend) will
stand on top of it

The frontend, well is just the fontend to the backend :-) Many kinds of
frontends can be written for Sarge's installer. The frontend can be GTK
based, Qt based, slink based, ncurses based ....

By using this method, The end goal for Debian is to have both, a
graphical installer and a text-based installer.

For sarge, what is certain is that the back-end will be developed. A
simple front-end (probably text based) will also be developed for it
(because the backend needs a frontend). However it is not known wether
any other kind of (more sophisticated) frontends are able to find their
way to sarge, or not. Probably some (many) of these frontends may have
to wait for the version after Sarge (i.e Debian 3.2).

This is what I have gathered from reading debian-user mailing list for
nearly 8 months.

> FYI: Matthias is from Germany and he is currently staying with us. He
> has taken a look into the Debian installer and I will join him today
> in doing so. The .po files are very small and we will begin to make
> some R&D on Farsi rendering.

Good! Keep up the good work guys.

PS: How have you taken a look at debian's installer? By using Srage iso
images? or any other method?

Cheers

--
/*  God is dead. Darwin and Mendel jumped
him in an alley and beat him to death.