bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:02:55 +0300

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 14:06, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 14:49, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> > Hi,
> > We want to simplize the use of farsi in linux. We  may an
> > installable distro and packages.
> > Right now we are trying to find a base for our distro. Surely all
> > of us like it to be debianbase but there is two major problem.
> > First is the installer and hd-detection proccedure which are not
> > user friendly in debian. The other problem is conservative POV of
> > debian guys in contrust with the newly added features that we want
> > them all for farsification. So if the sarge installer is good
> > enough I think we can't stick to the stable release of debian as
> > base of our distro. Maybe we should use the testing version for our
> > base?
>
> Yes, let's agree on the basics:
>
> - We want an installer in Farsi
> - We want a user friendly installer: including, but not limited to HW
> detection
> - We want a distro with new packages in it
> - We want the whole thing as close as possible to Debian

Agreed!

> - None of these features need to be there for the first release.

It depends on what you mean by the first installer. Are you talking
about 0.1 or 1.0 ?

> Hence I suggest:

> The next immidiate release shoud be based on KNOPPIX 3.2. It has
> almost all, except Farsi installer. But that's fine.

I don't see what Knoppix 3.2 can offer more than shabdix. The single
most visable change in Knoppix 3.1 to 3.2 was in the inclusion of KDE
3.1. As we achieved this in Shabdix, then I don't see the reason to
remaster Knoppix 3.2 Yes I know that Knoppix 3.2 also has some other
improvments over 3.1, but those are trivial in my opinion. It would be
cool to remaster Knoppix 3.2, but it is not badly needed. Especially, I
don't see how it may help us in creating a Farsi Linux distro and
Installer.

> Next we will take a look at Libranet. At the same time I am working
> on d-i with Matthias to see what all we need to do.
>
> Is this an agreeable solution?

Anything I can do?

And BTW, I am currently downloading Mepix.

Cheers
--
/*  God is dead. Darwin and Mendel jumped
him in an alley and beat him to death.