Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:37:52 -0500

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:04:35PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Couldn't this be handled effectively by function pointers?
>
> So use an stk500 set of function pointers, and if/when the init
> function detects a newer firmware, it can simply switch the set of
> function pointers to the stk500v2 one.

That's what I was thinking.  First try to get in sync and read back
the firmware revision information using V2 protocol.  If that doesn't
work, try reading it using the V1 protocol method.  Whichever one
works, set the function pointers appropriately.

I don't much care for having to specify two programmer entries in the
config file.  Most folks only know they have an STK500.  Having to
specify stk500v2 (or stk500v1) depending on which firmware you have I
think would be kind've a pain.

-Brian