Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:59:21 -0800

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
I would have to agree here. There may be some who never upgrade to
version 2.0 of the protocol. Perhaps having two programmer
specifications would be desirable.
If a single programmer module can handle both protocols, why have two
of them?  At least, it's my understanding that Atmel's avrprog.exe can
also handle both protocol versions (only the older version of
avrprog.exe cannot handle the new firmware, so you have no easy chance
to `downgrade' that way by installing an old AVR Studio version).

The protocols are totally different. It could probably be done, but in the same sense that one could merge all the other serial-based protocol drivers into the same code. And actually, the only reason I ended up having one of my AVR-ISP's upgraded to 2.0 was because AVR Studio 4 refused to work with the old one at all. ;-(

An autodetect would be handy, but I think it would be better to add a function to each programmer module that does an autosense, and let the higher level code handle the process of calling each one to see if one comes back with an ACK.

Once the stk500v2 stuff is working I might take a crack at that, though I guess there's really no good reason for me not to upgrade my other AVR-ISP once it works.

TTYL,
    Omega
    aka Erik Walthinsen
    address@hidden