Re: [avr-libc-dev] SIMULAVR / Test suite

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] SIMULAVR / Test suite
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:02:11 -0700

Björn Haase wrote:

Eric Weddington wrote
Something is definitely needed to run the GCC test suite for the AVR. I
don't know offhand what this would look like.

I am have been trying to get avarice interfaced to the test-suite code for
some days. It will not only be helpful for compiler testing. It will
possibly also contribute to the understanding by the general gcc community,
that 8 bit controllers are *not* children's toys.
I think, in general, that the GCC folks know that. IMHO, what would help "raise the profile" would be: regular testing with the GCC test suite, with reports back to the GCC list, careful monitoring of what the other GCC developers are doing, and pinging the GCC folks when they break something in the AVR port.

Really it all comes down to volunteers. When the GCC community see a group of dedicated volunteers doing the Right Thing for a particular port, then they sit up and take notice and will be just as cautious. This is what is happening with the ARM port in GCC.

Presently, I am still stuck with learning dejagnu and how the gcc test suite
on top of it works. Seems to be rather tricky.
Perhaps you can get together with Erik Christiansen who is helping to put together a testsuite for binutils and is going through the same learning curve.

Does anyone has an idea where
to ask for more detailed documentation? The gcc manual is not *really*
explicit.

Have you been to the DejaGnu website?:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/>