Re: [avr-libc-dev] Release?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Release?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:55:34 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

As E. Weddington wrote:

I would vote for a 1.2.0 release, even if some of the planned things aren't ready.

Only curious, are there any opinions as for rolling *two* releases, a
1.0.5 just with what's up there (plus maybe the math bug fix), and a
1.2.0 straight from HEAD?

Sure, next WinAVR will only pick one of them (1.2.0 it seems, for the
new device support), but I'm not sure whether there are also other
people who care for the backwards compatibility.

Technically, it's not that much more of work for me, so I'm open for
this option as well.

Well, consider who will use it: Practically all Windows users go with WinAVR, which will be 1.2.0. There's Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OSX users. The Mac folks are limited to a handful of people (afaik) so I would think 1.2.0 would be fine unless they complain. You've got the pulse on the FreeBSD community. And I'm not really sure about the Linux folks, as regular RPMs don't seem to be built.

All of the bug fixes in the 1.0 branch are in HEAD as well, and there are more bug fixes in HEAD than the 1.0 branch (plus stuff like new devices). That's why I lean towards 1.2.0.

*But*, in the end, it's up to you and the amount of time you have for it. :-)