[avr-libc-dev] Re: Newlib [was: Re: Release?]

From: Paul Schlie
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Newlib [was: Re: Release?]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:24:33 -0500

> From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
>> Browsing in newlib, it would seem that avr-libc could complement newlib
>> (which is basically a C source code library),
>>
> That's not quite correct.
> There is GLibC, which is used as the Standard C library for many hosts.
> There is Newlib, which is used as the Standard C library for many
> embedded platforms. It is supposed to be smaller, and have better
> licensing for embedded platforms.
> There is avr-libc, which is used as the Standard C libarary for the AVR
> platform.
>
> avr-libc and Newlib are not necessarily completementary, as a whole.
> Ideally, one would replace the other. Though avr-libc has functionality
> that is AVR-specific that is not normally found in Newlib.
>
> There would have to be a process of even seeing if Newlib for the AVR is
> efficient enough, and resolving whatever differences there are. This is
> not insignificant.

- maybe I'm confused, but avr-libc seems to be predominantly an assembler
  optimization of a subset of newlib (as exists for a few newlib targets)
  where although avr-libc contains a few avr specific utility functions,
  they're relatively minor, but complementary in nature, so don't sense
  problems with their being able to be maintained together, although
  possibly in a utility sub-directory, as they're basically structured now?

Sorry, I don't want to push the issue, just thought it might help raise the
visibility, and indirectly contributors; if viewed as being an asm optimized
newlib sub-port? (which is now I had been basically viewing it).