Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:31:54 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: Volker Kuhlmann <address@hidden>
> I can't comment on "standard", but I successfully lobbied SuSE into
> dumping all cdrecord+dvdpatches from the distribution (or relegating
> them to some corner). Problems have reduced no end. I never looked at
> cdrecord2+dvdpatches myself because I view(ed) it as a waste of time.

Maybe it's because I've stuck with Matshusita and Pioneer firmware drives,
but I've had *0* issues with DVD-R recording -- except for early DVD-RAM
drives that only did DVD-R, but not CD-R/RW/DVD-RW.

> cdrecord hacks are limited in functionality and inferior to growisofs,
> which works with pretty much any burner and any format.

CDRecord has some excellent end-media format compatibility marks for it.
And, again, I'm recording at 8x DVD-R with no issue on 8x DVD-R drives.
4x on 4x DVD-R drives, etc...

> As I see it, that means cdrecord hacks must justify their existance.
> I haven't found any justification myself, and the hacks' authors remain
> silent.

Is this more Sony/Philips DVD+R viewpoints?  (I'm trying to remember back?).
Of course if you use Sony/Philips drives, you're going to _favor_ growisofs.
But if you use DVD Consortium standard drives, CDRecord+DVDPatch works
most excellent -- very reliable, and very end-player compatible.

It's really a matter of what drive/firmware you have -- DVD Consortium or
Sony/Philips.

> This is my reasoning, I'm open to convincing arguments though.

As I said, I think I remember a previous thread on this.
If you are using Sony/Philips drives, you're going to tend to favor growisofs.
But that doesn't mean CDRecord is "inferior" for those of us with DVD
Consortium drives.

So be careful as your drive preference defines a lot of your software
preference.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden