[Dvdrtools-users] Re: unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6 -- fix

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6 -- fix your filters ...
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:47:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: "Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>" <address@hidden>
> Is this more Sony/Philips DVD+R viewpoints?
> (I'm trying to remember back?).

You're domain is barking at me that I'm SPAM.  I remember the last time we had
this thread, I had the same issue with your domain.  So it was you!  ;->

In a nutshell, "keep an open mind."
One of the repeat "issues" I see is that Sony/Philips +R/+RW supporters seem to
be
rabid about everything being "inferior" to whatever works for them.
It's not only a matter of perspective, but it's very insulting and reflects
poorly on you.

What works for us -RAM/-R/-RW users isn't necessarily "inferior" if it works
well for us,
even if it doesn't for you.  It really depends on what drive you have, DVD
Consortium
or Sony/Philips.  If you have a +R/+RW drive, or a Sony/Philips-based
dual-format
drive, then growisofs is what you need, and the DVD patches to CDRecord won't
help.

Sony/Philips has been promising a lot of things since 1998, and has
under-delievered
on them time and time and time again.  They missed projected products by 2+
years,
and decided that the US market would not accept them after the Japanese
consumers
failed to buy them.  Then it failed to deliver a promised -R compatible drive
until years
later (and still doesn't have a DAO option for maximum player compatibility).
It
couldn't even get its +R to work on its 1st gen (2nd gen for Japan) drives
which led
to a (rightfully so) lawsuit by consumers who were so promised -- a fact that
haunted
HP who sold the most in PCs c/o the DVD100i drives and promised +R writing.

Sony/Philips also introduced CAV write MO which caused a lot of headaches in
the CD-RW space prior (hence why I like to call it CD+RW to differentiate ;-).
The specs are cool, the performance is nice, but compatibility and reliability
tend
to be a bit more of a consideration to some of us -- and you can't be arrogantly
calling things "inferior" when some of us have a very different set of criteria
and
experience from your own.

Find out the drive the user has and cater to them.  Don't arrogantly state that
something is "superior" until you find out the drive involved.  I've yet to
have an
issue with my or anyone else's recent LG SuperDrives sold over the last 3 years.
And they read my 7 year old DVD-RAM discs, which is golden.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden