Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6 --

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6 -- fix your filters ...
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:50:27 -0500

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 12:50 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Back then the discussion was about DVD formats (though I can't remember
> with whom it was, but a lot of good info was posted).
> Now the discussion is about burning software, and let's keep it this
> way.

The two are linked!  That's the problem, you don't understand that!
CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD-R = single-groove != DVD+R (MO variant)

Don't you remember the whole issues when CD-RW drives first became
available and the media incompatibility issues far worse than CD-R?
That's because CD-RW is _not_ a single-groove, but a pie-slice
organization using MO.  Same deal for DVD-RAM, -RW and +RW.

But when Sony/Philips failed to get DVD-R to work over the first 3 years
of their drives, they came up with DVD+R.  DVD+R is physically like DVD
+RW, a pie-slice MO format.  DVD-RW and DVD-R are _very_different_.

Many readers, especially consumer, so not like such organization.  Which
is why it's been only recently that there has been enough proliferation
to support MO in consumer devices.  And even more laughable has been the
lack of +R/+RW compatibility in Sony/Philip's own players until the last
few years.  You agreed with this yourself.

Using cdrecord is _tied_ to the linear, single-groove option of CD-
R/DVD-R, including the most compatible, disc-at-once (DAO).

> Please don't put things on me - I have not made any statement about any
> DVD format type in this thread. I use all, with little if any
> preference. What I have said is that one burning software is inferior to
> another, a statement derived at by comparing point by point.

Based on your lack of familiarity with _why_ someone _would_ use
CDRecord.  There are _good_ reasons to use a single-groove recording
program for a single-groove media.

_You_ have made it a "cdrecord" v. "growisofs" and called one inferior
and that people shouldn't use it, lobbied distros to drop it, etc...
They are _complementary_ in features -- and cdrecord has many, many,
_many_ benefits that can_not_ be done with growisofs.

But you wouldn't understand that, because you don't understand the
difference between -R and +R.  -R is like -ROM, in the physical
organization -- a single-groove.  +R is _not_.

> When new points are added I'll revise. This is not insulting, just a product
> review. You find them all over the net. Feel free to do the same with my
> software ;)

I'm not getting into this "pissing contest" of what is better and what
isn't.  What I'm telling you is that there is a _reason_ why cdrecord is
still used instead of growisofs.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 address@hidden
Beware of those who define their preference in terms of hate of