Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:36:50 -0500

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 16:27 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On your crusade to explain the interesting details of the differences
> between formats

Because you seem to be on a crusade to ... and I'll quote you ...

"I successfully lobbied SuSE into dumping all cdrecord+dvdpatches from
the distribution"

"cdrecord hacks are limited in functionality and inferior to growisofs"

"Until there are things cdrecordhacks can do which growisofs can't"

> (and that I'm clueless, to which I'm starting to take exception)

You are completely oblivious to why people would use cdrecord/dvdrecord,
and it has everything to do with your lack of understanding how CD-
R/DVD-R differs from DVD+R.  You claim the media has nothing to do with
software, and I'm trying to tell you it _does_ with DVD-R!  ;->

So yes, we have a "problem."  I "take exception" that you don't seem to
have any ... how can I say this ... you don't seem to take the time to
understand _why_ cdrecord/dvdrecord exists, and for what reasons, at
least when it comes to DVD-R.

> From memory, forgetting to erase a disk which needs to be erased
> before burning again produces somewhat similar looking output.

The only erasable media is MO, and you should _never_ use MO with
cdrecord/dvdrecord because MO "emulated" to look like a single-groove
recordable media.  cdrecord/dvdrecord was never really designed for MO
media, even though it is used far too often that way, which is why I do
_not_ recommend you use it for DVD+R (if even possible).

In reverse, growisofs wasn't designed for recording but rewriting.  It
works great for DVD+R because isn't not like CD-R/DVD-R.  People who use,
let alone choose, DVD+R (and +RW) do not understand why DVD-R is more
compatible, why cdrecord/dvdrecord _software_does_ produce more compatible
recordings, etc...

You talk about growisofs like it "competes" with cdrecord/dvdrecord,
because you see no need cdrecord/dvdrecord, but that's largely because
(in our last conversation months ago) you only used DVD+R/+RW (and has
all sorts of complaints on your prior attempts to use DVD-R).  The
approach cdrecord/dvdrecord uses is _for_ CD-R/DVD-R, and any use of
it for DVD+R is going to be "emulated" much like for DVD-RAM/-RW/+RW
-- even *I* don't recommend.

It's not "inferior" -- it's for maximum compatibility, but for MO it
doesn't matter.

> but it was worth mentioning as a possibility. This has nothing to do
> with grooves, magneto optical, trenches, pie slices or mince pies.

Actually, why someone would use cdrecord/dvdrecord has _everything_ to
do with it.  You made several, _other_ points than just a recommendation
to erase the media in this thread -- so don't say that's the only thing
you were talking about.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 address@hidden
Beware of those who define their preference in terms of hate of