Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 09:28:43 +1200

> You are completely oblivious to why people would use cdrecord/dvdrecord,

I've asked several times now and you keep on ranting but not answering.
I and someone else have also asked you to define your TLAs, which you
keep on failing to do as well. Can one take you serious?

> R/DVD-R differs from DVD+R.  You claim the media has nothing to do with
> software, and I'm trying to tell you it _does_ with DVD-R!  ;->

Now stop this waffling and tell *WHY* the recording program, cdrecord or
growisofs, even cares about all these mince pies. Note I'm not
interested in the differences in mince pies, you've said that a few
times before. *How* does it affect *the recording program*, please?

I haven't had time to look at the source code for growisofs in the last
few hours, but it's not very big and I expect to find that it
essentially sends a "burn this data now" command to the burner and then
keeps on copying data from a disk file to the burner. Please explain how
and why it matters FOR THE BURN_CONTROL_PROGRAM how fast the burner
spins or whether there are grooves on the media. And, just to make sure,
no more explanations about why some formats have grooves in this
particular answer. Thanks.

> You talk about growisofs like it "competes" with cdrecord/dvdrecord,
> because you see no need cdrecord/dvdrecord, but that's largely because
> (in our last conversation months ago) you only used DVD+R/+RW (and has
> all sorts of complaints on your prior attempts to use DVD-R).

You're mixing up a few things here. I prefer to use +RW for some
situations. Yes my burner has trouble with a certain -R media brand. So
what? Could euqally well have happened with a certain +R brand and means
nothing.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.