Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Yury Tarasievich
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:11:28 +0300

On 14 May 2005 00:28, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> > R/DVD-R differs from DVD+R.  You claim the media has nothing to do with
> > software, and I'm trying to tell you it _does_ with DVD-R!  ;->
>
> Now stop this waffling and tell *WHY* the recording program, cdrecord or
> growisofs, even cares about all these mince pies. Note I'm not
> interested in the differences in mince pies, you've said that a few
> times before. *How* does it affect *the recording program*, please?

I guess what Bryan is talking about is how digital stream is formed by various
recording programs. If data are laid out differently (geometry-wise) on
different media types then it *could* make difference to program, what with
data rates and timings and likes.

Now, Bryan, you obviously know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, we
common people don't. So how about *actually* throwing together the FAQ you
have been promising for some time? One-pager at least, for starters?