Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:49:19 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: Greg Wooledge <address@hidden>
> I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that CAV stands for "Constant
> Angular Velocity", and that CLV stands for "Constant Linear Velocity".
> Is that correct?  I don't recall ever seeing you define these TLAs,
> either in this thread or in the previous thread a few months back.

I did, as well as explained how Pioneer/Matsushita went out of their way
to only use CLV for MO for a longest time because of the issues.
Sony/Philips first introduced CAV for MO with the 10x CAV CD-RW format
when Pioneer/Matsushita introduced 8x CLV CD-RW.

Unlike a single-groove, which uses fixed linear size timing and data pits
regardless of CLV or CAV, MO media with its pie-slice is very dependent
and explicitly timed for CLV and CAV.  And once you format at a particular
type and speed, you should always re-write at that speed.

> I look forward to it.

Yeah, I'm getting enough people e-mailing me now that they've found my
explainations in Google searches that I really need to put some pictures
to my words.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden