Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models

From: Heinzelmann Matthias
Subject: Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:00:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi...

One thing popped up in my mind when I read about the economist asking for
models. Now, we all know that scientists love models and if they don't see
one they're most likely to dislike what they see :-))
I understand that there has to be a certain way of arranging movement,
fertility, death rates...
But what it sounded like to me was that the economist was asking for
economic models, such as: Where is the mathematical formula that gets you
from the micro-level to the macro-level? Of course, simulation is there to
avoid these models and the (stupid) assumptions that come with them.
Simulation is there to detect patterns that the mathematical models can't
describe because of their assumptions.
Now, the economist might not have been talking about that, but if he did,
tell him there need not be one :-)

Matthias