Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:17:58 -0400 (EDT)

I believe the references Sven has in mind are as follows:

Original paper:

Evolutionary games and spatial chaos.
  Nowak, Martin and May, R.M.
  Nature, 359, pp826-929.

Huberman and glance critque:

Evolutionary Games and Computer Simulations.
  Huberman, Bernardo A. and Glance, Natalie S.
  Proc. Natl. Acad. Sciences (USA), 90, 7716-18 (1993).

Nowak and May respond at length:

Spatial games and the maintenace of cooperation.
  Nowak, Martin, Bonhoeffer, S. and May, R.M.
  PNAS (USA), v91, pp4877-4881.  1994.

Huberman and glance's caution about using synchronous
updating (which is basically what is was all about)
has also been made in other contexts about
CA (cellular automata) type models, e.g., Scott Page
has a paper about different update-order mechanisms.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html