Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:22:33 -0400 (EDT)

As per the citations in my other message,
this involved a little go-around with Nowak and May
making the origanal claims about the evolutin of cooperation
and chaotic patterns in their simple synchronous update model.
Its true that under some conditions cooperation
does not evolve in the non-synchronous verions huberman
and glance introduced (in fact what they did was make
an DES-type version, ala mousetraps, with encounters
being scheduled at various times in the future).
*But* nowak etal showed in the subsequent paper that
for a broad range of conditions cooperation still emerged
even in the asynchronous update version.

Still, the point stands that it does make a difference,
and one should think carefully (or at least a bit) about
what is more appropriate for the system one is modeling.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html