Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models

From: Kevin Crowston
Subject: Re: Are there theorems for Agent Based Models
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:50:41 +0200

At 3:37 PM -0500 7/12/99, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:
I believe Huberman and Glance had a paper where they investigated just this
difference, and they discovered that doing it in way #2 overturned previous
results achieved with way #1. Their conclusion was that it makes a Big
Difference how you arrange the order of actions.
I'll dig out the reference if you need it.

I think it's

Huberman, B. A. and Glance, N. S.  (1993).  Evolutionary games and computer simulations.  Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA, 90(August), 7716-7718.

If I'm remember correctly, they reran a simulation that produced nice ever-evolving patterns when run in way #1, I think having to do with agents who were cooperative managing to survive even when surrounded by non-cooperative agents (a nice story).  When run in way #2, the non-cooperators took over completely (a sad story--at least, if my memory is accurate--but one that seems a bit more likely).  And as Sven says, a Big Difference in results.

Kevin Crowston
Syracuse University
School of Information Studies
4-206 Centre for Science and Technology