Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Request for comments

From: Marco Gaiarin
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Request for comments
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:52:00 +0200

Mandi! Drago Bokal
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I am interested in upgrading the Trouble Ticket System application,

Oooh... many thanks by a phpgw that need a tts system, and live also
very near to you. ;)

> specifications of the upgrade. I am interested in any comments,
> ideas, proposals etc. regarding this upgrade.

As someone stated before, i'm interested in something that can track
tickets, but also an inventory of ``things'' for which the ticket are
opened.

I'm currently using irm:

        http://irm.schoenefeld.org/

to track computer and their problem. IRM is a good tools, specific to
computer because track also software and network connection/topology,
but suffer by a not so clean code and a poor integration with other
tools that phpgw have.
I don't think if is is the case to get some code from here... take this
only as an example of a good idea with a poor implementation. ;)

Also, at work it is needed a tts for a ``general mantainer'' (burned
lamps, broken windows, ...), but also for this will be better to have
an inventory of things.

In my head i'm thinking abount a system, like IRM but more generic,
that are composed of this things:

a) an inventory/database of things, i think could be more or less the
 current inventory application; they have to keep tecnical issue
 (processor, power consumption, tension, ...) but also economical ones
 (purchase date, warrenty period, ...). A common schema for all type of
 things could be hard, so some sort of templating could be needed...
b) an inventory/database of relation amongst things: thing 1 is
 connected (via cable ...) to things 2, or things 4 own/embed things 3,
c) a tts that can manage tickets on all things (make no sense to have
 tickets on relation)

Your idea of using petri network are very good in the last field, good
things will be also a direct link to inventory module (so we can place
an order for a damaged part) and to the new knowledge base module, so
we can put frequently/dumb tickets on hall of (in)fame. ;)

Hope this help, and i'll hope i've not scared you. ;)

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin                                 GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

         Proteggiamo l'innovazione in Europa: no ai brevetti software
                           http://swpat.xsec.it/