Re: [paragui-users] searching: democratically organized order; will also

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] searching: democratically organized order; will also take dictatorship :)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, H. C. wrote:

> Not much happening here :(
>
> Who takes care of applying patches now?

Actually I'm curious about that too :)

> Anyone still involved in creation of widgets or working on ParaGUI's core? A
> long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away there were plans to create a html
> widget e. g. .

That's a HARD project.
Could ya narrow it in to say what -sections- of html to implement?

I'm tempted to do a javascript plugin (using libjs from Mozilla) so that'd
be possible.  But not yet...

> Certainly, it's a lot of hard work to port the library to C or to implement
> interfaces for script languages, but we don't even have a basic widget like
> a multi-line text box.

Umm.  To be honest there's good reasons for that.  RichEdit handles that
rather quite well.

and noone's going to stop me from doing a C port, whether I have community
support or not.  What matters for -that- project to me is whether or not
anyone likes what I've done with it when I can post it.

> To sum things up: Welcome to anarchy! What we need is a roadmap and a
> leadership to direct work and to keep this project alive with its
> supportive, creative and optimistic attitude.

True...
But it doesn't hurt to have people with their own agendas too, as long as
the end result supports the community's agenda.

for instance, I'm a little worried that the original developers may have
problems with double licenses (say GNU LGPL and MIT) on ParaGUI so I
submit that as a discussion now.

One side - it would make commercial support easier...
flip side - is it necessary?

LGPL doesn't really restrict bundling that much, except (and I'd have to
verify this) in the case of static distribution.
Not sure her.

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis