Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz

From: devein
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:57:40 +0200

> >i wouldnt call it "reversing" .. in fact, these days any big emule
feature
> >implemented in mldonkey is one more step towards modernisation... (which
> >features you would like that other p2p clients have?)
> >

> so wouldn't it be closer at hand to help out the emule folks? or, if you
> don't like them, make a new branch of it (even a new emule would
> probably reach out to end users faster than any mldonkey-for-windows
> effort would) and make it really good. there really shouldn't be any
> need for to competing softwares in open source... mldonkey and emule do
> different things, for different people. if your goal is to create a
> better p2p-experience for the windows user, can you please (for once and
> for all) tell me why mldonkey code base is a better starting point than
> emule code base? now please note that i'm really not trying to be
> offensive here. i even tried emule a while ago, didn't find it half as
> bad as thought it would be, however it is lacking some of the  features
> (real ones) that mldonkey has, if you see my point =)

i understand that... but in fact, i like mldonkey more than emule :]

yes, i want to make better p2p experience for windows and other desktop
users...

In mldonkey this should be done by some user interface.
I strongly *believe* that there is possibility to write GUI to be eye-candy
and useful like emule interface.

but the core also needs some work:
- emule protocol compatibility ( emule has coded workarounds for mldonkey
which doesnt use emule extensions, both clients use strange hacks to
identify mldonkey - look at my last post at
http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1693 ,
maybe there is someone able to answer?)
- clean up settings  ( bloat like "add_mail_brackets", "port" setting - this
should be "edonkey-port" , "random_order_download" STILL set to false by
default, confusing  "new_print_search = false" - with html-mods this should
be called "old_print_search",  also no clean classification , core deletes
.ini with wrong syntax without any (!) information )
- more overall edonkey compatibility ( or emule? i think about full-chunk
uploading as better for network than current "upload until client dies")
- information - where are stats for bittorent/fasttrack/gnutella ? "gstats"
command? :/
- uploading to ther networks than edonkey/overnet ( bittorent uploads? i
think downloading  is pretty stable right now)

and these fixes for the core  would also *greatly* improve mldonkey desktop
usage...

> you mean "desktop systems" as equal to windows i presume? linux users
> should really be fine i think, especially with the über-cool g2gui =)

g2gui is also for win32 , and for now, it doesnt even compare with
mldonkeywatch, not speaking about _interface_ of emule....

devein
PS what are these advantages of mldonkey over emule (except for obvious:
server-client architecture) ?