Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz

From: devein
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:13:18 +0200

> >because of temp file and other annoyances mldonkey is no competition for
> >emule on win32 platform now.
> >

> reversing in technology just to appeal to the windows masses? very few
> of these use win9x/me these days anyway.
>
> well, it beats me... but go ahead and do it if you want, just be sure to
> make it an exclusive 'feature' of the windows port.

i wouldnt call it "reversing" .. in fact, these days any big emule feature
implemented in mldonkey is one more step towards modernisation... (which
features you would like that other p2p clients have?)

using 2000/xp/2003 doesn mean always using ntfs.

btw i use win2003 server as my desktop os, with fat32. why fat32? because i
use it for desktop *only* , and when my system crashes i still can use my
old msdos disks to recover files.

> >ntfs is noticeably slower than fat32, so blame m$ for every fs...
> >

> no, but it is more prone to fragmentation. use something like diskeeper.
> often. i promise you, not even the silliest windows user can argue that
> fat32 is a better choice, considering all facts.

i have noticed slower loading os & apps (especially open office,mozilla)
even when disk was defragmented. this is of course my personal opinion.

 im a fan of mldonkey, but i keep my opinion: mldonkey in current state is
not usable for desktop systems & average desktop users.( mldonkey as linux
daemon - im running it for a long long time... )

besides that, mldonkey with emule temp compatibility would be more
attractive for *some* users, if mldonkey has to be attractive of course...
(or maybe we should look at mldonkey as we look at vi or emacs? "robust,
does his job,many features, comfortable to use for those who studies their
settings & advanced features, etc ;-)

( i use vi , but when im clicking in win32 - "crimson editor")

you can see how im trying to make mldonkey more friendly for desktop users
at http://ease.compulypse.net , (soon with g2gui 0.1.1 with bugs easy to
spot for everyone :/)

but i feel like showing some "prototype" to users who just want to
peacefully & easily download warez

devein

PS sorry for my english