Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz

From: kami petersen
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:05:04 +0200

devein wrote:

because of temp file and other annoyances mldonkey is no competition for
emule on win32 platform now.
reversing in technology just to appeal to the windows masses? very few of these use win9x/me these days anyway.

well, it beats me... but go ahead and do it if you want, just be sure to make it an exclusive 'feature' of the windows port.

ntfs is noticeably slower than fat32, so blame m$ for every fs...
no, but it is more prone to fragmentation. use something like diskeeper. often. i promise you, not even the silliest windows user can argue that fat32 is a better choice, considering all facts.

also, sparse files are really neat since it's quite transparent to applications (i can preview any temp files with the end bytes complete in my favourite movie player, or extract parts of archives before they're done =)). can this be done with your proposal?

/kami

ps. i find it odd however, that mldonkey should hang up while writing to disk, no matter if it's 700M...

pps. the only thing i like about windows file systems is that, like me, they're case insensitive =)