Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz

From: kami petersen
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] alternate temp file system, plz
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:38:47 +0200

devein wrote:

i wouldnt call it "reversing" .. in fact, these days any big emule feature
implemented in mldonkey is one more step towards modernisation... (which
features you would like that other p2p clients have?)
so wouldn't it be closer at hand to help out the emule folks? or, if you don't like them, make a new branch of it (even a new emule would probably reach out to end users faster than any mldonkey-for-windows effort would) and make it really good. there really shouldn't be any need for to competing softwares in open source... mldonkey and emule do different things, for different people. if your goal is to create a better p2p-experience for the windows user, can you please (for once and for all) tell me why mldonkey code base is a better starting point than emule code base? now please note that i'm really not trying to be offensive here. i even tried emule a while ago, didn't find it half as bad as thought it would be, however it is lacking some of the features (real ones) that mldonkey has, if you see my point =)

im a fan of mldonkey, but i keep my opinion: mldonkey in current state is
not usable for desktop systems & average desktop users.( mldonkey as linux
daemon - im running it for a long long time... )
you mean "desktop systems" as equal to windows i presume? linux users should really be fine i think, especially with the über-cool g2gui =)

(or maybe we should look at mldonkey as we look at vi or emacs? "robust,
does his job,many features, comfortable to use for those who studies their
settings & advanced features, etc ;-)
yep, that's where i think mldonkey belongs.

in conclusion:

my point is that mldonkey and emule should compliment each other, not compete (this only increase flame wars, the amount of silly 'features' etc.). if mldonkey should be maintained for windows, i think it really should cater for the 'advanced' user who leaves his box on 24/7 and needs it to be a quiet, secure, stabile, memory efficient *service* (as opposed to application). now that's a *real* challenge, and a viable "business idea".

kindly,

kami petersen