Re: How to increase the distance between the last note of a measure and

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: How to increase the distance between the last note of a measure and the following bar line
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 19:05:22 +0100

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

The standard autodocumentation tools wouldn't help
much either.

- The bulk of the work is extracting information from
   LilyPond's internals. Take predicates. Their mapping
   to names is maintained in the code, so we would have
   to make the tool aware of our predicates.

- Our concepts of "grobs", "interfaces", "engravers",
   "contexts", etc. are not understood by tools that
   work in terms of "classes", "methods", "members"
   and such.

From what I understand, the core of the documented items is in the C++ code. But if you autogenerate the documentation from that code, you would have a set of classes and functions in a different "language" than the one used in the current documentation. Then you have to extract all these infos and translate them to your conventions (grobs, interfaces, engravers etc.). This is why I suggested a "static" wrapper, which should not be difficult to maintain because, even if introduces a redundancy with the set of names, this set will not be expanded or changed in the future. I mean: TimeSignature won't be replaced with something else in the future, and (I suppose) it's unlikely that new concepts will be added.
Then a "TimeSignature_wrap", with links to the respective comments in the C++ code, won't be changed. So: what do you mean with "their mapping is maintained in the code"? From what I see, once the mapping is statically done it should not  be maintained. Anyway, I could be wrong and in any case I'll show you some practical examples of what I have in mind in the next days.

Best,

- All styles (like CSS stylesheets) are tailored for
   texi2html and shared across all the documentation.
   The tool in question would necessarily have to generate
   Texinfo input. Doxygen and GTK-doc can't do that
   (Sphinx can).

Overall, LilyPond's code base is quite special in
a number of regards and existing autodocumentation
tools are not suited well to it.

While I wouldn't be against moving to a different
documentation tool (with a marked preference for Sphinx),
we would have to do it for all of the documentation at
once, it would be a big change, and it would not really
reduce the amount of scripting required to generate
the Internals (which is not all that much of a hassle
in the end).

Best regards,
Jean