Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: Joshua Stults
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:39:25 -0400

Hello,

I had a similar experience leading a small team of (older) engineers.
When I first introduced Octave I got the 'oh noes it looks like teh
DOS' initial reaction, but they soon realized what a powerful tool it
was.  We used it to automate some really tedious data processing /
analysis tasks that they were doing in Excel (talk about inefficient
and error-prone).  Having a good syntax highlighting text editor
(SciTE) was certainly crucial to us as Octave became a significant
part of our work-flow for one particular customer.

That's the good part of the story; I've since moved on to a different
job, but I keep in touch.  I recently found out that little team was
so enamoured of all the neat stuff they could do in Octave that they
went and bought Matlab licenses!  I asked them why and they told me
they had a lot of trouble getting Octave (in windows) to produce
quality looking graphics for reports and presentations.  That might
seem like a small thing, but when you are getting your management-type
non-technical boss to make decisions/spend money/cut metal based on
your results and analysis, looking nice and professional is more than
a 'nice-to-have'.

If I had still been there I would have told them to ask the help list,
so I'll ask belatedly: what's the recommended method of producing nice
looking graphics from Octave in windows?  When I left I think they
were using something like:

>> print("foo.jpg", "-djpg")

Those ended up looking really 'jaggy' when pasted into documents or
slides, and I also seem to remember we had a lot of trouble with
finding the fonts so the axis labels saved properly.  We used the
windows installer from octave-forge.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Josh