Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 05:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 4/29/09, maiky76 <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: maiky76 <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 8:35 PM
>

> Octave for windows and people told me that the “Graveyard
> black windows”
> didn’t appeal to them and it was too complex to use it.

Enough said.

Sometimes I think that people who grew up with GUI-based OSes have severely
crippled thinking abilities. I.e. they can't think "outside the (GUI ?)
box".

Under _any_ OS one can take _any_ text editor which has configurable
colors, configure the colors to his/her liking, write commands in the
editor and copy-paste them into the application - 'octave', for example.

I recently had a need to work under Windows in their brain-dead cmd.exe,
and luckily there is a nice notepad++ GPL editor (with syntax highlighting
mode for 'octave' among many other language) _and_ with a possibility to
run shell from it.

The editor is a multi-tab one, which makes it really nice.

So, whenever one has an intrinsically command-line based application,
he/she automatically has a GUI for it, and the GUI is called "your favorite
text editor".

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. The editor: