Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: maiky76
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have been using Qtoctave for one month and I love it. Let me share my 2c
experience.

At my job I extensively use Matlab. I have been lobbying for a while to have
more people using proper scientific software for data processing (quality
department) to improve our own standard for production tracking. Basically
my goal was to enable technician to process some data by themselves. I
always had been told that Matlab was too expensive to make simple tasks such
as standard deviation, normal distribution fitting (Excel makes people sick;
I am talking about technicians not R&D engineers). I tried to introduce
Octave for windows and people told me that the “Graveyard black windows”
didn’t appeal to them and it was too complex to use it. Since I showed them
Qtoctave, everyone is using it, liking it very much and people are modifying
(improving) the tools I first gave them to better fit their own needs. It is
exactly what I wanted everyone it happy and the job is better done and it’s
only thanks to the GUI.

To my opinion (and I share it), for what I wanted to do the GUI is not
optional. I am too young to have used DOS as OS but I can’t help thinking
that computers wouldn’t have been so wide spread without Windows, another
GUI.
Another example: Linux, it’s only since GUI based distro that main retail
channel put it in their computer (Asus EEEPC) as a credible Windows
alternative.

As a professional I’d rather give money to the Qtoctave guy than the octave
guy it’s unfair but makes more sense as to me: no GUI no Octave (whatever
the shell paint job or the speed it can achieve and I don’t really care
about the engine as long as it makes things moving forward).

Now you can think whatever you want about this example: it could a case in
point against a GUI as I am negating a large part of what octave is standing
for but it is a different point of view.

Btw, Scilab any one?

It's my first post here
Cheers
Mickael Lefebvre, MEng, MSc.