Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:34:49 +0200

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM, WMennerich <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> >From all octave users, a certain percentage will give money to the
> Octave-project.
> With the number of octave users, also the probability to get donations for
> octave increases.

Hopefully. But I think it's too naive to expect significant donations
as a token of gratitude. I think donations targeted to development of
wanted features are much more likely. Compare "let's give some money
to Octave; we use it a lot and it's great, so we owe them" with "let's
give some money to Octave; we use it a lot and it's great, but the
graphics is a bit poor, so let's pay them to improve it".
People just won't invest that much in development of features they
don't want just in *hope* they may get eventually rewarded. That would
be sort of suicidal. Mostly people develop features they're interested
in themselves. They're still generous because they allow everyone else
to benefit from their work.

So, it really works this way: if many people want Octave GUI, then
some of them will hopefully write it (and some of them actually do :)
or pay others to do it.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer