Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 02:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

WMennerich wrote:

> Hi,
> From all octave users, a certain percentage will give money to the
> Octave-project.
> With the number of octave users, also the probability to get donations for
> octave increases.
> Especially a big number of octave users in a company has the possibillity
> to organize donations for octave (using the argument to save money for
> Matlab-licences).
> If octave has an IDE/GUI, a higher number of users can use octave, i.e.
> these users, which are not familar with the comand line.
> Hence, an IDE/GUI for octave should increase money income for the octave
> project.
> Also the number of octave developers may increase.
>
> Best, Wolfgang

So we develop this feature for you with the "hope" of getting someone to pay
for the next feature we add? And what is the argument for the next feature?
--- "If you add feature X we promise we'll pay for feature Y" seems to be an
argument that leaves the developer of feature X screwed.... Octave has not
been able to draw a significant level of funding even though the statistics
show we have a few hundred thousand users, so I think its now we need to
draw the line if there is ever to be a significant financing of the
development of Octave. Funding the development of QtOctave seems a
reasonable place to start if that is the feature you want, though OctaveDE
seems to be more alive at this point.

D.