Re: Octave in Universities

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:28:41 +0000

Steve C. Thompson wrote:

[soap box on]

At one time, I used Matlab's GUI; and, yeah, it had
some features that were useful.  I now use X windows
with multiple virtual desktops, Vim, terminal emulators
(Konsole), and so forth.  In my view, the features
gained with this later approach largely outweigh the
features lost by ditching Matlab's GUI.  So my message
to anyone who is hung up on Matlab's GUI is that there
is a much bigger world of great tools available.  With
a little work, the return on investment is significant.
  Step 1: learn how to use *vi* or Emacs
  Step 2: learn how to use X windows, virtual desktops
  Step 3: use GNU Octave

Of course, these steps are done in parallel and the
enjoyable process is continuous, never ending!

[soap box off]

Looking at it from a newbie's point of view, you're asking them to do the most painful, steepest learning curve, less obviously productive stuff first, and the intrinsically interesting not-too difficult stuff last. Also, at a university, the potential users are mostly undergrad students who were born after the DOS prompt was starting to fade into the past. Making Octave work with a GUI, and making it really easy to plot and print graphs will help a lot in getting used. I hate to say it, but making it work with windows will have a bigger effect that any other factor. I'm constantly amazed with the trouble windows users will put up with, rather than invest in a day learning how to use KDE.
M.