Re: Octave in Universities

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:43:15 -0800

On 14 Mar 06 10:22AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 14-Mar-2006, Guillem Borrell Nogueras wrote:
>> No GUI (They are *not* used to the command line so
>> they try to avoid it as much as possible
>
> So, when people are saying that they can't live
> without a GUI, they are really asking for a command
> line window with a few decorations...

[soap box on]

At one time, I used Matlab's GUI; and, yeah, it had
some features that were useful.  I now use X windows
with multiple virtual desktops, Vim, terminal emulators
(Konsole), and so forth.  In my view, the features
gained with this later approach largely outweigh the
features lost by ditching Matlab's GUI.  So my message
to anyone who is hung up on Matlab's GUI is that there
is a much bigger world of great tools available.  With
a little work, the return on investment is significant.

  Step 1: learn how to use *vi* or Emacs
  Step 2: learn how to use X windows, virtual desktops
  Step 3: use GNU Octave

Of course, these steps are done in parallel and the
enjoyable process is continuous, never ending!

[soap box off]

Steve