Re: Octave in Universities

From: Robert S. Weigel
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:02:33 -0600

I have been working on web interfaces lately.  I am in the process of
integrating the UKY code with something to interactively view space plasma
time series.  Here is an excellent interactive SVG plotter that I am
modifying to receive the plot commands:
http://www.codedread.com/displayWebStats.php.

I don't have anything general or ready for demo right now, but I just wanted
to let you know of someone who is interested in web interfaces.

Bob

> >   Afaik, few of my present or past colleagues use Octave - except
> > perhaps Mai Zhou [1] at the math dept. of the U. of Kentucky, who
> > maintains a web interface [2]. I will ask for his comments.
>
> Thinking about web interfaces to octave, I got concerned about
> the security implications.  For example, the system call gives
> full access to the local shell, and there are commands like
> fopen which can also be dangerous in the right hands.
>
> I wrote a quick little function clear_builtin which removes
> a function symbol from the current context, from the prompt
> and from the builtin function list.  That means you don't have
> to hack your version of octave to remove system().
>
> A complete solution would clear a number of builtin functions
> and provide oct-file replacements for alternatives which do
> complete argument checking (e.g., fopen which strips all directory
> information before opening).
>
> Anyone want to put something together and add it to octave-forge?
>
> - Paul
>
> -- clear_builtin.cc --
> #include <octave/oct.h>
> #include <octave/symtab.h>
>
> DEFUN_DLD(clear_builtin,args,nargout,"clear a builtin function")
> {
>    octave_value_list retval;
>    if (args.length() != 1) {
>      print_usage("clearfn");