Re: GUI vs. CLI

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GUI vs. CLI
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:21:58 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 15-Mar-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| I agree this would be useful. Aren't the general-purpose IDEs for Linux | like KDevelop and Eclipse customizable so that you could make them do | this for Octave? It seems like that would be the easiest path to a | Matlab-like IDE--in fact I thought I remembered someone saying they were | working on something like this for Eclipse a while back.

But it still all gets back to how does the IDE/GUI thing communicate
with Octave, doesn't it?  I still think the most effective thing will
be if the IDE/GUI is integrated with Octave, so they are not both
trying to handle events independently, and so that the IDE/GUI does
not end up reimplementing things that already exist in Octave (the
command line editor, history, the diary, etc.).

Also, a couple of the things that were mentioned were editor tasks
(code indenting and region commenting).  Does it really make sense for
Octave to have a separate lame editor that is just different enough
from every other lame embedded editor to be really annoying?  I mean,
why does every application need its own editor?

jwe

I see the only reason as having its own lame embedded editor is for breakpoints, hover-values when broken, dockable watch windows, call stack, etc. In fact, I think this functionality is enough to move it out of the lame category and into the "worth your while" category.

John

P.S. Since I am using the GtkSourceView widget for my editor, it is essentially the same thing as gedit, with the extra windows I mentioned.