Re: The future of Octave

From: David DS Barnes
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:41:02 +0000

John W. Eaton wrote:

On  8-Dec-2000, David DS Barnes <address@hidden> wrote:
| o  weblication interface <?php?>
| o  some xml language
| o  expresses objects, behaviours/etc
| o  subsets for cfd/fea/etc
| o  opengl graphics

Can you give some reasons why you think these things are important?

Just because something is the latest fad doesn't mean it is worth
following, particularly if you have very limited resources.

here is the spirit:
open/cross-platform
inherently mp..
interface with outside world

here's some letters:

gui --
o use minimal subset of browser (eg mozilla) - lean, graphics guaranteed o php : (?) was meant as question/joke
doesn't have to be php,
just a nice, capable, fast script language ...
public data --
o xml is, in my ltd experience,
very powerful, very attractive :
free ascii + process(or) independent
legible descriptors, simple descriptor structure
graphics --
o opengl communicates with xml and vrml languages
and most platforms

anyway, I thought you were looking for a challenge 8)
if this is noise, I won't waste your time

David
--
David DS Barnes
mech eng dept, imperial college | t/f:0207 594 7181/7127