Re: The future of Octave

From: Kai Mueller
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:27:58 +0100

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:09:51PM -0800, Kevin Straight wrote:
[...]
> jwe's point is well taken.  Octave is a very solid and useful application,
> but it is impossible to escape the fact that it is based on yesterday's
> technology, not today's.  It does what it does very well, but it is
> inherently limited by design considerations.  Working on my degree in
> applied math over the last three years I have become increasingly
> convinced that we are long overdue for the next evolution in
> mathematical software.  I think we-the open source community-should be the
> ones to come up with it, and let the commercial teams scramble for
> bug-for-bug compatibility with US.
>
> What form will this revolutionary new application take?  I don't know, but
> here are some ideas I've come up with:
[...]

I don't agree that Octave is yesterday's technology just because
of its user interface or its structure. A state of the art software
solves problems numerically exact and with *** great efficiency ***.
That's exactly what Octave does.

Again, to me great efficiency is important not an intuitive user
interface. I guess you can't have both.

I hope that Octave will continue the way it was developed over the
last years - Many thanks to JWE.

Kai

--
 Kai P. Mueller
 Control Department (Regelungstechnik) | Phone [+49] (531) 391-3835