Re: The future of Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:27:52 +0000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 02:49:48PM -0800, Kevin Straight wrote:
<snip>
> 1) Of course a GUI would take a lot of our "limited resources".  Our
> resources are limited because for 9 years one person has been having to
> run the whole show.  We need a "Core Team" and a "GUI Team" who do there
> own think (but talk to each other enough to avoid problems)

Another point about the myth of "limited resources": we are not
interchangeable.  Those who have time do not necessarily have the
specialized knowledge that it takes to write missing routines such as
conjugate gradient minimization.  I spent a good hunk of time in
the library learning enough signal processing to attempt the signal
processing toolbox.  Sure I learned a lot in the process, but I'm not
about to become enough of an expert in spline fitting to write a spline
toolbox because it won't help me when I'm studying speech.  More
particularly, I don't need sophisticated spline functions.

Given an existing GUI framework, though, and a need for some specific
GUI feature, general programming knowledge ought to be enough for
you to contribute something useful, especially if the appropriate
widget already exists in the toolkit/application that we use.  Or am I
underestimating the amount of specialized programming knowledge one
gets with a couple of degrees in computer science ;)

<snip>

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden