Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 03:52:20 +0000

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:40:59AM +0000, Pete Morris wrote:

> To give other slightly less theoretical (but equally preposterous in
> my eyes) examples...
>
> Why do people pay £15 to get into a "trendy club" where they can
> listen to tunes they already own on their iPod and pay inflated prices
> at the bar for flavoured toxic drinks that they know are going to make
> them feel ill the next day?

We can’t just say they are idiots, can we?

So, instead of hypothesising why we can’t convey free software to the
masses, why don’t you do something about it?  It’s no good just telling
us that the way we are saying things doesn’t work very well with Joe
Public.  If we knew better ways to spread the word, we would be doing
it.  So, although I appreciate being told where I’m going wrong, I would
also like some inkling of how to do it right.  If you can’t offer that,
and can only moan that we do it wrong, then I’m going to get tired of
you very quickly.

simple system that works.—John Gall