Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: EVISON ROY
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:51:55 +0000

Dear Mr Ward,
                          plumbing does not equate to software, nor is it that standardised.
  New starters (grandparents,etc.) are unpolluted by software preconceptions. They don't care much, unless otherwise notified, what they are using as long as it works to an acceptable level (ok, acceptable level is not defined).
   'easy to use': this is a phrase that might need explaining in that one might assume that everyone wants to use it for the same thing. Running a server (system server) on linux is not reliant on an application of bank notes but running the BBC Iplayer on Debian is not straightforward, this might well vindicate your case but the pros and cons are not something you see advertised. Fashions change and requirements can be invented but people are swayed by immediate needs.
   'time vs. money': your time is finite and weighed up against the financial rewards you could get from , perhaps, doing overtime (particularly true of the 'polluted') and so how do you apportion your time, install Drupal or buy Dreamweaver? This is not an apology for preparatory software but an excuse for how some people make decisions.

Roy.

On 14 January 2011 08:02, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:22:48PM +0000, Roy Evison wrote:

> not everyone is as far thinking as you, nor as skilled.

I provided a ready made solution, it had already been designed and
created by skilled people.

Then there are the freedoms that are not taken away from you with free
software.  It’s all too true that many people don’t see why they should
care about these because they wouldn’t be able to take advantage of
them.  It is then important to emphasise that these freedoms are still
useful, even if not everyone is skilled, as I said:

> > You can change the design, or *get someone else* to do it for you
> > (because *designing these things well is not everyone’s forté*)

I just about managed to replace a washing machine door handle without
leaving the door in bits, but that’s about as far as I go.  A few years
ago I had a leak when using the washing machine, and didn’t know where
to start, so I called someone out.  I’m not a skilled washing machine
mechanic (I don’t even know if you call them “mechanics”), or a skilled
plumber.

(The washing machine is proprietary, but at least most of the plumbing
comes in standard sizes.)

> The lure of a quick quid or an easy to use solution appeals to many,
> handcuffs not withstanding.

If you didn’t notice the analogy with Ubuntu, that’s what it was.  You
hear stories of peoples’ grandparents being able to use Ubuntu without
many problems at all (I doubt that’s really the case but it’s no worse
than trying to figure your way around Windows or Mac OS X), and those
people are somehow surprised by this (I’m not).

It’s not “an easy to use” solution that people latch on to, it’s a
familiar solution.  They’ve used Windows in education and work, and it
just seems easier to use something that is familiar, after all, they’ve
already learnt how to use it.

The surprise grandparents may well have had relatively little experience
with *any* system.  This allows them to learn to use something that to
others may seem like a strange and unfamiliar system without being held
back by pre‐conceptions about how the system should work.

> The immediate impact of time vs. money is also a factor in people's
> choices, as short sighted as that maybe.

You can wear my ready made shirt, created using a free design, right
now¹.

¹Any implication that I have designed and made any shirts in real life
that you can have right now is simply unfounded.  I’m not a very skilled
designer or shirt maker, I usually go for something already designed and
made for me.

simple system that works.—John Gall