Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:33:34 +0000

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:39:25AM +0000, Pete Morris wrote:
> Firstly, it's obviously better to be a solutions provider, but pointing out
> problems is still useful.

As I said: “I appreciate being told where I’m going wrong”.

> So it's not "moaning", it's giving feedback.

Ok, you weren’t going “muuuuhhhhhh”.  It is feedback, just a lot of
negative, or rather non‐constructive feedback.

> It's a lot easier to identify faults than invent solutions to them, so
> don't be surprised that the number of moans outweighs the number of
> solutions.

I’m not surprised.  I’m saying that if all I ever hear is nothing
constructive I’m going to tire of it, probably end up ignoring it.
After all, I know I benefit from free software.  If others’ just can’t
or won’t see that it benefits them too, in my own selfish little way I’m
going to stop caring about them and move on.

> Secondly, the reason (in part) that there are so few solutions is that
> a lot of the solutions are actually compromises or middle-ground, and
> the free software movement is often notoriously opposed to such
> notions.

Yes, and I think it’s right to be so, I’m opposed to such notions.  The
aim is to have systems fully supported by free software so people are
not tied back by proprietary software.  All it takes in one piece of
proprietary software to reduce your freedoms.

> But since you asked, here are (off the top of my head) a few solutions
> that I suspect would dramatically increase the usage of free software

Usage of free software is often cited as some sort of metric or
benchmark, often along with mention of so‐called incentives such as
bundling proprietary software.  The aim to increase usage is mis‐guided,
and at best secondary to primary aims, which are making people aware of
what free software is and what its advantages are.

> ... don't be surprised if you don't like them...

I’m not surprised, I sort of knew this was coming before I had finished
reading the first paragraph. :)

> 1) Include a copy of Internet Explorer licensed from Microsoft with
> some distributions (this is hugely important for many people). Charge
> if necessary.

Although I didn’t expect IE.  With people being advised to move away
from IE, the only advantage I see is for those in government
organisations where its use is requisite.  I’m finding that more
companies are making the move towards mandating alternative browsers in
their policies, and the use of backwards intranets that only work in
ancient versions of IE is declining.

> 2) Work with Microsoft to make a [premium paid for] version of Office
> available on Ubuntu (this is a total show-stopper for many people; my
> partner used to use Ubuntu, until his university coursework required
> Microsoft Office documents, and OpenOffice couldn't handle
> pixel-perfect table layouts and fonts accurately)

Users aren’t the only people who can be educated.  May I ask which
university (and which department if relevant)?

> 3) Make all the restricted and proprietary components and features
> turn on by default

I think if you do this it hides the message.  Remember that we’re not
primarily about getting people to use free software, we’re about
advocating the free software philosophy.

> 4) Sell copies of Ubuntu in nice shrink-wrapped boxes in PC World

Does anyone actually buy their operating systems standalone?  I think
OEM installs are the way to go, but I recall Windows OEMs being bullied
into not providing alternatives.  Does that still happen?

> 5) Create distributions where the "tinker" element can be turned off,
> i.e. locked-down versions of the distribution, pre-configured to
> corporate requirements and policies

Microsoft doesn’t even do this for Windows.  They do, however, provide
template group policies that can be based on for corporate policies.  I
expect most companies in need of this to have staff with a non‐basic
level of competence in system administration.  If they don’t, they
should seriously consider getting some.

simple system that works.—John Gall