RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:40:59 +0000

To give other slightly less theoretical (but equally preposterous in my eyes)
examples...

Why do people pay £15 to get into a "trendy club" where they can listen to
tunes they already own on their iPod and pay inflated prices at the bar for
flavoured toxic drinks that they know are going to make them feel ill the next
day?

Why do people buy £150 plain white t-shirts from Vivienne Westwood when you can
get exactly the same product for £2 from Primark? (or £10 from a fair-trade
source)?

Why do people drink strange homeopathic brews prescribed by expensive private
'doctors' and perceive an improvement in themselves, despite near unanimous
evidence that they do nothing beyond placebo?

Humans are a strange breed. They sometimes do things that 'logically' are very
illogical, simply because its the done thing to do, or because it is seen as
what everyone else is doing, or they perceive a benefit that is not really
there, or they just choose to believe something. There is a lot of psychology
and sociology around things like this, and its the backbone of marketing.

Ubuntu is a perfectly usable operating system, but in a way its freedom is its
own worst enemy. People say "where is the catch?", and no matter how much you
say that there isn't one, they will be suspicious. Safer to stick with good-old
trusted Windows. It's only £50 after all; oh and we'll give you a discount
because you are NHS/student/whatever. I strongly suspect if Canonical started
charging £100 for Ubuntu, you'd see its market share increase quite
considerably. Not that I hope they do that, but it's the way humans are
hard-wired.

Pete